Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm a Picky Eater, Are You?

 
I never thought of myself as a picky eater, until recently, when I made a discovery:  I am a picky eater.  

I used to think picky eaters were the kids in my family, who won't eat half of what is served to them (or less than half), or the adults in my family that don't like all of the same foods that I like.  I thought that if someone else was doing the cooking, I would eat just about anything, and anyone who doesn't like my cooking is just simply ungrateful.

I know I'm not the world's best chef (which is understandable since I don't even aspire to be considered a chef of any sort--cooking is my least favorite chore), but why would it matter if:
-I didn't follow a recipe exactly?
-I don't use the same recipe you're used to?
-I included an ingredient or two that doesn't TASTE good to you?  (ham, tomatoes, or noodles--heaven forbid, etc.)
-I burnt the food just a teeny tiny eensy teensy bit?
-I brought home the generic brand instead of your favorite name brand food?

In my mind, those were all the characteristics of a picky eater.  None of those quirks bother me in the least.

BUT, I finally recently realized and decided that I have to be in the picky eater's club, whether I like it or not...just for different reasons.

You see, for me, it generally doesn't matter if something doesn't taste quite right, or look quite right even.   But I discovered that I do have two criteria that all of my food choices center around: is the food A) "healthy" enough, or B) is it so incredibly delicious that I will let the health-aspect slide (and this usually only applies to sugary foods).  Oh, and C)-if the food is overpriced, I probably don't want to buy it (this doesn't apply to wonderful restaurants, where the atmosphere makes up the cost difference). 

Even if it tastes kind of yucky...if it's good for me, I will love it.  Brussel sprouts, tofu, whole wheat everything, fat free/light/low calorie--bring it on.  On the other hand, if it's not good for me, please don't offer it (unless it's sugary).  Extra butter on the popcorn--are you trying to kill me?  Deep fried whatevers?  Get me out of here!  White bread? Pass, but thanks anyway.  Greasy cheesy pizza?  Well, if you'll lighten up on the cheese, make the crust thin, and load it up with vegetables (and less greasy meat), then I'll probably eat 4 slices ; ).

I'm hoping to discover that everyone is picky in their own way.  That will make me feel better for realizing I've been in the picky eater's club all along.

So I'm just wondering...what kind of eater are you?  Picky with taste, picky with nutrition, picky with ingredients, picky with where the recipe came from, picky with cost?  Does this thought represent you: "I don't care how healthy it is, as long as it tastes good"?  What matters most or doesn't matter to you?  (Please reply...pretty please?)

No comments:

Post a Comment